Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Saturday, March 27, 2010

Angel Food Cake with Butter Cream Frosting

By popular request (following my last post titled The Ultimate Comfort Food), I present to you my mom’s famous recipe for Angel Food Cake with Butter Cream Frosting. WARNING: Eat at your own risk. A ridiculously excessive amount of internal exposure to this food may cause gastrointestinal upset – AKA nausea.

Angel Food Cake with Butter Cream Frosting

1 Angel Food Cake – baked. A box version is great. Who knows what to do with all of those extra egg yolks, anyway. This is the vehicle for getting the frosting in to your mouth and a bit more socially appropriate than a spatula.

½ cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup superfine or regular white sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

½ cup butter

½ cup margarine

Scald the milk and let cool. Add vanilla to cooled milk. Whip the cold butter and margarine in mixer for 3 – 4 minutes until it is like heavy cream (but not soft and runny). Add salt and then add sugar ¼ of a cup at a time, beating for 30 seconds between each ¼ cup. Once all the sugar is added, beat for 2 minutes. Then, add 2 Tablespoons of milk at a time, beating after each addition until smooth. Once all the milk is added, beat for another 2 minutes.

Spread the frosting over the cooled Angel Food cake. If time allows, cool the cake for an hour to firm up the frosting. This is not necessary, but preferred. Either way, trust me, it is delicious (but my no means low-caloric).

Enjoy, dear readers … and have a piece for me, while I allow myself time to forget the feeling following too much cake (I mean, frosting).

P.S. My mom just informed me that the recipe originally was obtained from the "New Antoinette Pope School Cookbook" printed in 1961 and was given to them for their first wedding anniversary by my mom's parents. The recipe was called, "Mrs. Miller's Quick French Butter Cream Icing." My mom used to make the angel food cake from scratch every 13 days, with leftover egg whites, having fed me (awwww...) a yolk a day, when I was a baby.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails