Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Monday, October 8, 2012

Lord, Help Me to Listen More




My fingers folded laundry.

Max, the cat, stretched himself out on the warm dryer.

My middle daughter came to hang out with me in the laundry room to talk.

One thing led to another, and then sweet words from her mouth flowed, as she stroked the fluffy fur of our five-year-old cat.

“There’s something about Max that just makes one feel better,” she spoke softly.

“What is that, dear?  What do you mean?”  I probed deeper, thinking to myself that he’s a nice cat, but he’s just that -- a cat.

“Because he doesn’t talk. He just sits and listens, and sometimes when you’re having a hard day, you don’t need people to try and talk to make you feel better … you just need them to listen.”

She’s a wise young lady.

And she’s right.

Sometimes, we just need someone to listen.  We need to listen.

I’ve known a few good listeners over the years.  They’ve willingly entered in to my pains in a silent way that connected deep in to my soul.  Their open ears and hearts were spaces where my words found a safe place to pool.  They did not need to speak, but rather, the Spirit spoke to me as they loved me with their quiet presence.

I’m struck silent by my daughters insight today.  Lord, may it be a reminder to me to love her and others by listening and listening well.

What about you?  How are you at listening?  Who has touched your life by saying little and loving much? 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails