Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Saturday, May 16, 2009

God Enables Us to Stand on the Heights

"It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; He enables me to stand on the heights" Psalm 32-33.

In general, I have a fear of heights. Yes, I did sky dive one time, but my fear lies more when I am climbing something and there is the potential that I may lose my footing and fall and be injured. I am nervous about climbing ladders with rickety rungs and unstable footings.

One time I went to a state park with my children. There was a tall, wooden observation tower, that naturally, they wanted to climb. Boldly putting my fears behind, I began the trek upward with them. Back and forth, the wooden steps (the ones that have holes in between where you are almost certain your foot and whole body could fit through if you stumbled) coursed, up and up. The wind was blowing cold and brisk that day. I found that I hung close to the core of the tower, holding tightly to the railing, and self-talking "Don't look down. Don't look down." Once I got to the top, I knew that it still was not a good idea for me to look down; too scary, too nauseating, but I did look out. And I realized that high about the trees, on the top of a hill, looking out over the water, I had a perspective that I could never have even imagined being on the ground.

And so it is with our trek with God. There are times when he asks us to climb towers in our lives that seem too scary and too risky. We are not sure of our footing. Will we slip and fall and be injured? But God makes our feet like the feet of a deer, and gives us a sure footing. We are not sure, but He is. He guides our steps. Proverbs 15:24 says "The path of life leads upward for the wise." As we seek God and His plan and purpose for our lives -- His wisdom -- we will climb upwards. And when we get to the top of the tower, He enables us to stand on the heights.

It is hard to imagine what we will observe from the heights that God will bring us to. " 'No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him' but God has revealed it to us by His Spirit" 1 Corinthians 2:9. God, in His strength and love, brings us to the heights that He has for us, and shows us, by His Spirit, what He desires for us to see.

Dear reader, do you feel scared on the journey that God has you on? Do you feel as if your footing is unsure? Are the winds of doubt and anxiety circling around you, making your trek more difficult? Do not look down, but look out. Look out and in to the face of Jesus. He will guide your steps. Cling close to Him and He will make your footing clear. You will not slip through the holes that threaten you. And when God brings you to the top, look out and observe what He has for you to see. He will give you, through His Spirit, a new and greater perspective. He makes our way perfect, arms us with strength, guides us in our steps, and brings us to the heights. We truly can not imagine what God has prepared for us who love Him. His love is unfailing.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails