Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Recombobulation Needed

Preparing to go through security at the airport, I unpacked my lap-top, took off my jacket, slipped off my shoes, placed my personal bag, my purse and my computer bag in the bins (four in all) and pushed them through the x-ray machine. I walked through the scanner and then gathered up everything on the other side. Seems to me, no matter how efficient and organized one tries to be, on the “other side” there is always chaos.

After gathering my items, and feeling more like a pack horse than a traveler, I looked up and saw a sign hanging from the ceiling “RECOMBOBULATION AREA.”

I laughed (and stopped to write it down. I dared not forget this silly yet accurately descriptive term). I could feel the chaos of bags and coats and shoes, just saying the word. “Recombobulation.” (My spell check says that it is not even a word!)

Sometimes, on this earthly journey I feel discombobulated. My emotions and my thoughts are here and there and everywhere. It is a challenge to stay organized and on task. I may not look like a pack horse, but I feel as if I am carrying the weight of the world, and then some, on my back.

I am in need of a “recombobulation” area in my life, but what does that look like? It is “self-care.” It is stopping and stepping out of the chaos and trying to figure out what brings you refreshment and rest, and even joy.

When you are overwhelmed, it is important to take time to take care of yourself. It is not selfish (unless, of course you take it to an extreme) but it is healthy. Ask yourself, “What do I need right now to help me slow down, gain perspective and rejuvenate?” Maybe it is a walk, or a run, or lunch with friend. Maybe it is a pedicure or a haircut. Maybe it is a nap or reading a book. Maybe it is watering flowers, snowshoeing, painting or playing a musical instrument. Maybe it is sitting on resting in the Lord and His tender care for you.

Dear reader, it is hard to self-care, especially when we are caring for others, like our children, but it is essential. We will be better women when we learn to slow down and take care of ourselves. If you are having a hard time figuring out what it is, ask the Lord to show you. He made you and He knows just what you need. When we find time to rest and restore it helps us to have perspective, and I believe that helps “recombobulate” some of the chaos and confusion in our lives. I hope you find it helpful, too.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails