Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Friday, October 2, 2009

Please Reassure My Heart, Lord

I suppose the weather being blustery and cold didn’t help. I noticed my eight year old daughter scampering around this morning, both in body and in mind. She wasn’t sure whether she could wear something to school (because of dress code), her notebook needed to be signed, her hair needed to be done, and she hadn’t a chance to eat much. As I was pulling up her hair in to a pony tail, she let out a sigh of exasperation, “I just know this is going to be the worst day ever.”

Shortly thereafter, while everyone else hustled to the car, I noticed her at the pantry door, whimpering.


“What’s wrong, dear?” I said.

“I forgot to pack my lunch and now I’m going to be late!”

I asked her to stop what she was doing and look at my face, as I reassured her. “Oh, honey, try to calm down and take one thing at a time. You are going to be fine. There is plenty of time. All you need to do is ask for help. You don’t have to do it all on your own. I know you are trying to be responsible, but everyone needs some assistance. It’s part of my job to help you; please ask me when you need it. I love you.”

Right then, I knew that if I had been in a movie, the screen would have frozen and the narrator’s voice would have boomed from above, “Did you hear what you just said, Andrea? Are you listening? You are your daughter, and I am you. This is true for your life, too.”

Sometimes, we find ourselves convinced, before we even step in to the day that it is going to be the worst day ever. One thing after another goes wrong, our plates are too full, we have too many balls in the air, and it feels as if it is all going to fall apart. Not to mention, there are the internal struggles stirring around inside of us like fears, jealousy, disappointment, and more. Ugh. Oh, what to do?

“There is no one like the God of Jeshurun (Israel), who rides on the heavens to help you and on the clouds in His majesty. The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms” (Deuteronomy 33:26-27).

Dear reader, when you find yourself overwrought, ask the Lord for help and reassurance of His presence. Allow Him to wrap His strong yet gentle arms around you. The One who holds the Universe together is the one Who loves you. Everywhere you are, He is right there. Receive the comfort that He has for your heart. He says to you, “Calm down, dear one. Just ask for My help. I know that you are trying your best, but everyone needs some assistance. You cannot do this life on your own. Lean on Me. Helping you is what I love to do, because I love you. Take one thing at time, you are going to be fine because you are mine.”

When we got in the car, I asked my daughter, “Are you better? What can I do to help you not feel as sad, before you go to school? Do you need a hug?” A smile appeared on her face. She quickly unbuckled and leaned over the driver seat where I sat, turned in her direction. I held her for a few minutes, and then we were on our way. I think she was reassured and felt better, and thanks to what the Lord showed me about myself and Him, so do I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Andrea,

All of us need help and reassurance. It took me a long time to realize this. Thank you for your reminder. He is the Great Comforter. May you know His comfort as well!

Anonymous

Related Posts with Thumbnails