Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Monday, September 26, 2011

Manna Walk

Taken from Google Images
We sat around the large table in the dining area of the home of our hosts, Benedict and Kathleen Schwartz, at the Villages of Hope in Zambia, talking about the history of the orphanage and learning about their life story.
“It’s been a Manna Walk for me,” Benedict, the founder and director of the orphanage, smiled.

“Over the years I’ve had to trust the Lord to provide of all things at all times, just as the Israelites depended on God for food --  manna -- given by God each day.”  (Exodus 16)

I was intrigued (read: perhaps even convicted) as I continued to listen to more of their story.
The term “Manna Walk” rolled over and over in my mind all night, ruminating until morning.

I wanted to hear more.  I wanted to understand.

The next morning, I approached Benedict. 

“Why do you think it is so hard for us, as Americans, to walk in this way of trusting the Lord?”
And his reply still has me thinking.

“In our culture (American culture) we are diseased with comfort, consumption and convenience.”
Diseased?  Perhaps it’s true.

We are infected with these viral like illnesses, and sometimes we don’t even know it. They come from the outside, work on the inside, destroying our trust of the Lord.
These things (amongst others, I am sure) really do keep me from fully trusting the Lord for all things at all times, trusting Him to provide what I need, quite frankly, trusting Him that He will be everything I need.

The thing is, I know that He provides, but I don’t always act like it. Worse yet, I doubt it.
When I am comfortable, indulgent and have access to anything I want – then I forget to want Him, and when I do not desire Him, I find my dependence on Him evaporating.

When we are in need,  we seek Him, and yet we do not see what we truly need, because (for the most part) we either have what we want or we spend our time wanting more of what we do not need – wanting things more than we want Him.
I want to trust the Lord better, deeper, more openly, starting today, one foot in front of the other. I want to walk the Manna Walk.

I want to do it for the Lord, because, truth is, it’s for my good, but even more importantly – for His glory.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails