Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Monday, January 19, 2009

Hemmed In By God

Throughout the afternoon today, I could not escape the picture of God hemming me in. It came to me while I was driving in the car, alone, praying out loud to God, asking Him (ok, pleading with Him) to continue to reveal to me what is true and guide me in the way that I should walk. I was seeking God for wisdom.

I recalled Psalm 139:5. "You hem me in - behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me." Other versions say "you squeeze me in from behind and in front" (NET), "you have enclosed me behind and before" (NASB), and "I look behind me and you're there, then up ahead and you're there, too" (MSG). I love that imagery of God totally surrounding me with His presence, His love and His protection.

Sometimes in the middle of the night, my little girls will crawl in to bed with me to snuggle. They fall sound asleep, and I find myself sandwiched between two little lambs. I can't even roll over without bumping in to them and being totally aware of their being right there.

That is how it is with God. He is always present, and we can't go anywhere or do anything without bumping in to Him. Even more so, He has His hand on us. His hand is laid upon us, directing us, loving us, showing us the way. Squeezed tight by God, we are unable to move without a keen awareness of His reassuring presence.

Later in Psalm 139 it says, "If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast" (vs. 8-10). This brings me a great amount of comfort as I walk through each day, each one full of actions and decisions. I know that I can count on Him to reveal wisdom to me and to mold my heart so that I do what is right in and glorify Him in the process.

I am so thankful that He hems me in, squeezes around me and no matter where I look, is right there. It humbles me that His love is so close and so intimately for me. I pray, dear reader, that you have a keen awareness of being tangibly hemmed in by God today, amidst the trial that you may be walking through.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails