Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Thursday, January 1, 2009

What to Wear? Strength and Dignity

Have you ever watched the TV show "What Not to Wear?" I may have caught it once or twice, enough to know that it is maybe somewhat interesting, but superficial and way too much "appearance" driven. As women, we can easily get caught up in the outward appearance, but what does God say about what we should wear?

In my studies, I'm realizing that He actually says quite a bit of it. Today, a friend wrote to me about what the Proverbs 31 woman wears, and it reminded me of one thing that God thinks is important for us as women.

The NIV version of Proverbs 31:25 reads, "She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come." Other versions say that she smiles at the future; she laughs with no fear of the future. I like the NKJV (New King James Version) that reads, "Strength and honor are her clothing; She shall rejoice in time to come."

We can choose to put on strength and dignity, each day, just as we would put on a shirt or pants. They reveal and give evidence of who we are. We can cloth ourselves with strength, because we know Who is our Strength. We can cloth ourselves with dignity because we know Who made us and has a purpose for our lives. We can walk walk with our heads held high because we are loved by the King.

When we choose to do this, and walk dependent on the Lord, it helps us to be confident in what the future holds, even though it may seem to be filled with uncertainty, because we know Who holds the future. And we can be confident that we will rejoice in time to come.

I am having a hard time believing that last part. Rejoice in time to come? I wonder what that will exactly look like? My friends who have walked similar roads reassure me that it will happen, and that I will be able to feel the joy, again.

I believe that God gave me a verse a month ago, or so, and I have it in the margin of the blog. It is from Jeremiah 31:3-4, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. I will build you up again and you will be rebuilt ... Again you will take up your tambourines and go out to dance with the joyful." It gives me hope that God is involved in a building project in my life, and that He will complete it. I will be rebuilt. Some day, I will be able to sing and dance and be joyful, again.

And my prayer and desire is the same for you, too, dear reader. I do not know what you are walking through, but I know that God's promises are for you, as well. Hold firm to Him and cloth yourself with strength and dignity, for you are unfailingly loved.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails