Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Thursday, June 25, 2009

Vision Correction Needed

My ability to read small print seems to be increasingly challenged. I went to the eye doctor and sure enough, my eye sight is worsening; I need new reading glasses. When I read without my "readers," well, I can't read. Everything looks blurry. Either the children have to read for me, or I have to send everyone out on a bear hunt for my glasses. What I really need to do is get more pairs, but I keep on forgetting. Ahhhh, getting older. It can have its challenges.

As I was reflecting, and somewhat, perhaps, grieving the gradual loss of my vision, I began to think. Not only am I more and more dependent on my glasses, I realize that I am more and more dependent on God's Word. In the same way that I can not see to read without my reading glasses, I can't "read" and understand myself or my circumstances, without God's Word. It is essential for me to see the truth.

The truth is important to me. I want to be wise and discerning about the way in which God is asking me to walk. I want to understand what His truth is and then see how to apply it to my life. I want to be able to capture the vision that God has for my life and for my family.

Psalm 119:130 says, "The unfolding of your words gives light, it gives understanding to the simple." As we read more and and more of God's Word and seek Him in it, it is like a light that illuminates the truth and the areas of darkness. God's Word gives us understanding on how to live.

To see ourselves, dear reader, and our circumstances through the lenses of God's Word exposes truth. Truth is vital in a deep and abiding relationship with the Lord. In John 8:31 Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." We are to read it, digest it, and allow God's truth, through His Word, to nourish us and set us free.

The children and I were riding in the car the other day and the subject of lying came up. We were working through a situation, and by asking an array of questions, I discovered the truth. A little while later my ten year old son said to me, "Wow, Mom! You are 'the great lie detective!' You can figure out anything!"

Well, I don't know if I am the "great lie detective" but I do know that God calls us to seek truth. When we do, we are able to see clearer with spiritual eyes. God's Word shows us Who He is and it shows us about ourselves and the vision that He has for our lives. For me, I know that vision correction is needed. I need God's Word to help me with that. How about you?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails