Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Monday, March 1, 2010

Perfect Peace

She finally fell asleep, holding my hand, snuggled up in a blanket, with an ice pack resting on her forehead – perfectly peaceful. When you are a little person (and a not-so-little person) falling can be traumatic. My daughter trying her hand (errrrr – feet) at ice skating, took a tumble and hit the ice face first. Poor little dear. She is better this morning, but not lacking a “purple eye.”

As I sat with her last night, looking at her as she rested quietly, my heart turned to thoughts of the Lord and how He tenderly cares for us when we are struggling. We fall down (either on our own or from the impact of others) and are hurt. We ache and we cry and we call out for help.

He picks us up with His strong and loving arms, and comforts us with His love. He holds our hand. He cares for us with His Word. He may bring others along side of us to help us, but often, I find that He meets our every need, personally and intimately. And when we fall asleep, we can be confident that He never does. He does not slumber nor sleep. He never takes a break. He never gets tired or worn out. He is always perfectly, loving and in control.

As I held her hand and rubbed her little forehead with my other hand, brushing her hair out of the way, as she dozed off, I whispered, “You’re going to be alright, Honey. Just relax. I am right here. Momma loves you and I will take care of you."

And I heard the words of the Lord whisper in to my heart at the same time, “I have everything under control, dear one. I know you are hurt. Rest here, in My love. I am right here. All day, all night -- even when you sleep. I am watching over you and taking care of you.”

My daughter rested soundly. She knew I was nearby and would take care of everything. Even though she was so tired and needed to sleep, she rested sweetly and confidently in my arms. God’s arms are everlasting arms, and in these arms we can find ultimate rest.

Dear one, keep your mind and heart focused on Him. When you are striving and tired, place your weary head on your bed and trust that He will cover you with His feathers (Psalm 91), watch over you while you sleep and give you perfect peace. Like the Psalmist let us confidently say, even when we are hurting, “At day’s end I’m ready for sound sleep, for you, God, have put my life back together,” (Psalm 4:8 MSG) and then commit to believing that it is true.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails