Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Friday, October 12, 2012

My Recipes and Memories


Cards and magazine clippings flutter to the ground from up high on a shelf where they were ‘faux filed’ in a pile between a box of rice and a bag of noodles.

‘It’s about time I organize these recipes,” I mumble to myself.

I pull down the worn, brown, wooden box, my husband made for me.  I recall our first Christmas, when we made gifts; when money was scarce.


The brass hinges are tarnished now. The lock is long gone. The wood is worn and slightly stained. 

Recipes rest inside.

I pull out one at a time, reading handwriting.

Suddenly, I am caught unaware by memories.

I realize that I do not even need to see who wrote the card, I recognize the style of penmanship and faces flash before me.

I find a recipe for my friend Hope’s Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake.  I notice that almost all my yummy desserts are from her.  She was my running partner before kids.  I loved the way she laughed.

On another card, stained with oil and worn on the edges, my grandmother Ella’s handwriting scratches the surface – a recipe for Sausage and Broccoli Pasta.  I sigh, missing her.  I remember her handing it to me. So many good things came from my grandma. She was wonderful.

I continue to pull out more handwritten cards. My mother-in-law's recipe for 'How to Poach Chicken Breasts' (that she gave me when we were first married), my friend Kris’s Parmesan Chicken recipe, my friend Megan’s recipe for Almond Butter Cookies written on a postcard, my friend Jenny’s recipe for Lemon Chocolate Chip Cake, my mother’s recipe for Buttercream Frosting (my all time favorite – click here to read about this irresistible treat!), and my sister-in-law’s recipe for Cut-Out Cookie Dough.

Now days we have the Internet to search for recipes, but I must admit it’s just not the same.  Handwritten recipes have memories attached. Some of these friends and family members I have not seen for years, but in this moment … I remember.

I’m thankful for these memories today.  In a strange and unexpected way, the Lord has given me a sweet gift through the gift of their handwriting on an old recipe card. Thank you, Lord.

What about you?  Do you have recipes that are handwritten?  Do they bring back sweet memories for you of those you love?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails