Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Friday, October 19, 2012

Corrie ten Boom is My Facebook Friend

www.christianity.com

Corrie ten Boom is my Facebook friend

Well, not exactly.  I actually follow her page – but either way, when I scroll through my ‘friends’ posts, I often see her name come up – just like she’s one of my friends.

The thing with Ms. Ten Boom (I call her Corrie … I don’t think she’d mind), is that she’s been home in heaven for 29 years.  I’ve never met her. I’ve never seen her speak.  I’ve only heard about her, read about her, and watched an actor play her in ‘The Hiding Place’ the movie.

But, the truth is, I’ve also rested my head on her shoulder a time or a hundred.  She’s an inspiration to me; I’d even go as far as saying, a kindred spirit.  Without even her knowing, she’s pointed me to Jesus and reminded me of His love – A LOT.

Born in 1892, she lived in Holland.  During WWII, she and her family hid Jewish loved ones in their home, to help save them from the heinous acts of Hitler and his henchmen.  As a result, she was arrested and thrown in to a concentration camp, where she held tight to the Lord and shared His love with others.  Through a clerical mistake, she was released, and spent the rest of her life traveling the world sharing the love of Jesus, referring to herself as a ‘tramp for the Lord.’ I love that; suitcase in hand and His love in her heart, she went wherever the Lord led her, whenever. She finally went home to her Savior in 1893, after suffering for more than five years, bedridden after a stroke.

What a life well lived.

It’s hard for me to pick a favorite quote of hers –

“Forgiveness sets the prisoner free, to only find out the prisoner is me.”

“There is no pit so deep, that God’s love is not deeper still.”

“Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.”

God uses these words of hers to remind me of Him and His truths.

I wish I could have met her.  I look forward to meeting her in heaven.  Maybe we’ll have tea and talk.  I sure hope so.

So, warm up the pot, Corrie.  I have a lot of love for you and look forward to praising our Lord together – the One Who Rescues and Redeems no matter how deep the pit or sorrowful the suffering.

Thank you, Lord, for comforting Corrie with Your love and grace, who in turn brought Your comfort to a hurting world and to me (2 Corinthians 1:3-4). 

What about you? Do you have any ‘friends’ whom you’ve never met, yet God uses in your life to encourage you to love the Lord and persevere?  If you could sit down and talk to them, what would you say?

3 comments:

Audrey's mom said...

I can picture Corrie and Jesus chatting it up in heaven. I can't wait to meet C.S. Lewis. His perspective on heaven and our Heavenly Father inspires me.

Andrea K. Van Ye said...

I agree! Just the picture of Jesus and Corrie talking helps me persevere ... how amazing that we'll have that same privelege and joy to sit with Jesus face to face! and yes ... c.s. lewis ... how fun will that be!

Anonymous said...

Billy Graham's ministries did a movie about her back in the 1970s. Maybe you can find it. It was excellent.

Related Posts with Thumbnails