Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Friday, November 19, 2010

Entangled by Comparison

Recently, a friend shared with me something about what the Lord is teaching her. It really made me think.   I asked her to write her story to me. I wanted to place her name on it, but she refused, saying "Please leave my name out. I would love the credit way too much and I would rather have the Lord get the credit."  She is sweet, humble and wise, and this is what she said …
 _______________
Why as a Christian do I seem to be convicted to do or not do things that others don’t seem to be convicted about? It really bothers me, and sometimes I get really mad.  I find myself asking the Lord, “Lord, why am I convicted so fast, but she’s not? Why do I have to tithe and she doesn’t?” Over and over again, I wonder "why this" and "how come that" about what I should be doing and what others are not. 
I shared this with a friend and she suggested that I ask the Lord to show me.  I did.  And He did.
Hebrews 12: 1b – 2a says, “…let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith ….”
There it was – plain and simple – sin.  It’s my sin of comparison that so easily entangles me.  Before I know it, I’m tripping on the tangled mess, preventing me from running the race that is set before me.  I look around at what everyone else is doing (or not doing) and I get all messed up.  It’s not about their race. It’s about my race. It’s about my keeping my eyes focused on Jesus, and not about me comparing myself to others.
If I can remember this in this race called life, I hope and pray that I will be able to finish well and eventually hear “well done” from the One who will be waiting at my finish line.
_______________
Thank you, dear friend, for reminding me of the dangers of comparison. It is so easy for us to look over our shoulders and feel too good about ourselves as we run ahead or look forward at who is in front of us and get discouraged.  The Lord has us where He knows it is best for us -- right now -- at this mile marker of the race. Keep on running well.  He has great plans for you!

1 comment:

Andrea K. Van Ye said...

Another friend of mine sent me an e-mail in regards to this post and I like what she adds ...

"I enjoyed your blog. I get caught up in the same thing. I then have to remind myself that God convicts each one of us at different times on different issues. I'm glad that He knows the issues that I need the most work on and the proceeds to convict me of them. It's like drinking, shopping or whatever. Some people can do it in moderation while others have a problems with it -- it may be taking first place in our lives instead of Him."

Thank you, friend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails