Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Monday, January 17, 2011

I Don't Want to Add to the Darkness

Today I had my hair colored.  Nothing new or different, just a good coating of brown (my natural color)  over a few (more than my liking) silver threads.  I sat in the chair, with a wet head and read through a magazine. I rarely take the time to read random magazines but in the salon chair, a doctor’s office or at the oil change station, I try and seize the moment and read up on what people are thinking and saying or at least, what the magazines are reporting.
Today, I paged through Oprah Winfrey’s magazine and got caught up in an article (click here to read) about the new television network that she is starting, OWN.  I don’t know a lot about Oprah, but I found her thoughts about the trash on TV (my words) interesting.
She said, “In recent years, I started to feel that, Gee, television has lost its mind. You used to be able to watch shows and come away with something that brought a little piece of light into whatever you are doing.”  Her desire is to create this new network to offer shows that are edifying and interesting. 
She went on to share that she has a quote outside of her make-up room that says, “Be responsible for the energy you bring into a room.”
I pondered that for awhile.  I can see what she is saying – positive attitudes, happy hearts, kindness, etc…
But as a Christian, I think we have a greater calling and that is to, “Be responsible for the Jesus we bring into the room.” 
I like that. Being highly visual in how I learn and apply truths in to life, it makes me stop and remember who I am and who I sometimes may NOT look like. 
When my faith is weak and my heart is heavy with the stresses of the day, I can bring crabbiness in the room, not Jesus.  
When I get tired, I bring worry in to the room, not Jesus.   
When I get overwhelmed, I bring distractions and too much of myself in the room, not Jesus. 
When I am anxious about the future, I bring fear in to the room, not Jesus.
When I take my eyes off of God’s truths, I bring lies in to the room (sometimes, even the room of my heart), not Jesus.
2 Corinthians 5:20 says that we are ambassadors for Christ.  We aren’t going to be perfect representatives, that’s for sure, but as representatives for Him we need to think about what we are doing and what we are saying, as we either will bring the light and hope of His love in to the room or just add to the darkness.
I don’t want to add to the darkness. The world seems dark enough as it is. I don’t know what my little piece of light will look like today, but I am asking the Lord to help me be responsible in bringing the Light of His Love wherever and however He leads.
Dear Lord, With so much vying for our attention, with heavy hearts and with burdens that are nearly too hard to bare, it is hard for us to remember that we are ambassadors for You.  Please, help us to see the people around us as You see them and help us bring the light of Jesus in to whereever we are, near or far, in our homes, our workplaces, our churches and our communities. Help us to be responsible with our calling, whatever it may be.  In Jesus name I pray,  Amen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

shine on dear friend!!

what a great way to help all of us think about what (who) we bring into every room, every day, and every place we go....

shine on....

Related Posts with Thumbnails