Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sometimes ... I'm a Wiggle Worm, Too

My youngest daughter crawled up into the nest of my bed.
“Momma? Will you snuggle me?”
How could I resist?
I laid down next to her, and as I did so, the incessant movement began. 
She couldn’t – wouldn’t – stay still. First a leg poking me here and an elbow there, then a flip and flop, she wiggled and wiggled, alternating with groans and sighs.
“Now, just settle in, dear, and rest. Try not to wiggle. It’s hard for you to calm down if you are moving all the time.”
“But I can’t help it!” she whined, frustrated.
I reassured her, while rubbing her back and holding her hand.
She finally fell asleep, in my arms. 
I laid there for awhile, thinking to myself that I'm not that different from my daughter -- just in a bit of a different way.
Sometimes, I am prone to wiggling -- striving. I desire rest. I ask for His tender care, but I am constantly moving in my mind and heart. I can’t settle. I get tired, maybe even over-tired, just like my daughter. I weary of the world. The troubles of the day burden me, and I am restless.
Instead of laying back in to the arms of the Lord and giving up my cares, I flip and flop, discontent and anxious -- more than I would like to admit. I can be a regular wiggle worm.
But this is what Jesus offers us -- rest.
“Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28)
 I am trying to bring my heart to Him, instead of wrestling it out on my own.
I am trying not to fight His care for me, but allow Him to love me.
I am trying to remember His Word and His promises for me.
What about you?
Can you hear His voice, dear friend?  Stop wiggling.  Stop striving. Stop resisting His love.  Lay back your head, dear friend, and rest your weary and burdened heart, knowing that you are loved.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails