Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Tuesday, December 18, 2012

How One Short Text and Two Photos Changed My Day (In a Good Way!)


I had a lot on my mind, yesterday.  Only the Lord knew it.

I prayed with the children on the way to school in the car, as usual.  This time I asked Him (in addition to helping one with a spelling test, another with cello lessons, and another to ‘just have a good day,’ as requested) if He would show Himself to each of us in a unique way.

Truth was, and I don’t know why, but I was feeling lonely and in need of a peek at His personal presence.  I was feeling sad and insecure and I guess, just down in the dumps.

I did some work around the house in the morning and then ran over to school to wash dishes.  With hands wet and mind weary, I heard my phone ping from where I placed it on the back counter.

I dried my hands and checked my phone, a bit begrudgingly, secretly saying under my breath, “I hope this isn’t something difficult to deal with.”

It wasn’t.

It was indeed a peek at His personal presence, just for me.

Two photos and a text from my long time friend, Cynthia, came in to view.

“Thinking of you my dear friend, as I hang the ornament you made for me back in 1983!  With love, Cynthia.  Merry Christmas my long time friend.”


I chuckled. Truth is, I don’t even remember making the ornament. Counted cross-stitch was the latest ‘craft to create’ in those days.  I was in my second year of college.  Who knows how I found the time to stitch! And to think she still had it and hung it on her tree!

Memories of Cynthia over the years drifted through my mind and rather than feeling dreary, delight grabbed hold of my soul and danced with me.

I’ve been smiling, and thinking about Cynthia, since her message came to me. No matter how much time and space is placed between us, we’ve stayed dear friends for a long time.

The image of her face, the sound of her voice, and I’m back to those days of giggling girl friendship. From the day I met her, she has brought me joy and continues to light up my life with hers.

Lots of ups and downs have happened in the last 30 years.  We’ve both walked through difficult times of one sort or another. I have a lot of respect for her. Widowed a few years back, and I saw my friend broken, but trusting the Lord for all things and exuding incredible grace.  She still does.  She’s an amazing woman!

Funny how I felt lonely and the Lord knew just what I needed to show me that I am still remembered, not only by Him, but by my sweet friend.

Thank you, Lord, and thank you, Cynthia, for taking the time and not only blessing my day, but blessing my life.  I love you like crazy, girl!  Merry Christmas to you and your sweet children!

1 comment:

Julie G. said...

Very sweet. Made me get tears...Cynthia's big sis, Julie

Related Posts with Thumbnails