Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Friday, December 14, 2012

I'm Contemplating the Common Today



I caress the head of my littlest one, who is home sick with a fever.

I pour cereal in a bowl for her to eat and freshen up her ice water.

I let the dog out, then back in, then out, and then back in again.

I snuggle my dear one, and watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with her.

I tidy up the kitchen.

I fold flannel sheets and put fleece blankets from the washer in to the dryer.

I swing open, and close, the door to the laundry room. 

In the commonness of the day, I catch a glimpse of a costume, hanging on the door.

The hanger clinks on the wood, each time I swing the door back and forth.

It is a shepherd’s costume. My son is wearing it this weekend for a Christmas program at our church.

Clink. Rattle.  Swish.

Each time I walk in and out of the laundry room, it seems to be trying to get my attention.

The Lord seems to be trying to get my attention.

And the thought enters my head, “What was it like for the shepherds the morning of the day when the heavenly hosts dropped in to deliver a birth announcement?”

As they donned their outfit and slipped on their overcoat, did they have any idea of what that night would hold? 

Did they contemplate the common, like I am today?

Did they do their chores, care for one another, wonder where their lives were headed and wonder if they even mattered?

On a common day, I'm pretty sure they had no idea what God was going to do.

On a common day, neither do I.

It’s on my mind today and I think the Lord is reminding me to look for Him, even on a common day – maybe particularly on a common day. 

One just never knows, God may have big plans for this day, or maybe His big plans are cloaked in the common. 

Either way, on this common day, I am committing every little thing to His care and thanking Him for each moment, for His being present and for His word for me, today.

What about you? How is the Lord speaking to you in the commonness of the day?  What is He telling you today?

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come. Rev 4:8

Andrea, you were experiencing God on this day, God who is. You were rightly crowning Him Lord of the moment.

Certainly this moment by moment worship, the contemplating of the common, is a key element to the secret of contentment which the apostle Paul learned. Phil 4:12 "I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation".

Andrea, I added a link to an entry about a day when I also was contemplating the common, especially as it concerned proper timing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails