Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Friday, December 19, 2008

Be Fearless


Yesterday, my friend Betsy gave me a little plaque that says "Be Fearless." I have it propped up in a little cubby hole in my car, so that I can see it all the time when I am driving around in my car. (And with 5 kids, I spend alot of time in the car!)

To be fearless means to be calmly resolute in facing dangers. It is to be brave, valiant, undaunted and free from fear.

But how do we do that ? How can we take our fears of the now, or the fears of the future, or the fears of what others may do to us, and become resolute, brave and valiant?

I think that the antidote to fear must be trust -- trust in the Living God. In Psalm 56:3-4, the David says, "When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid." As I seek God in all the things that are bombarding me, I know that He is trustworthy, and I do not need to be fearful, but fearless.

Proverbs 3:5- 6 says,"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." The paraphrase, The Message, says it this way. "Trust God from the bottom of your heart. Do no try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track."

I must admit, this can be awfully hard to do. I want to figure things out and understand what is going on in my life, in my suffering. When I realize that I can't, then I start to fear. When my paths are not feeling straight at all, it is hard for me to trust. But the path that I see as crooked and treacherous, is the very path that God has for me, and He promises to keep me on track.

Be fearless, dear friend, God is holding you tightly and He will not let go. I need to believe that today, as well.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails