Unfailingly Loved

Unfailingly Loved



Monday, December 15, 2008

Beauty for Ashes

Let's face it, some days are better than others. I wouldn't be authentic with you, dear reader, if I shared with you only my lovely "ah-ha" moments, and not the times that I struggle.


Today I felt lonely and angry and sad and hurt. It is a most unappealing flavor of soup, but in time, can be nourishing in its own way. There is always a lesson to be learned.


Today, I felt like I was in a snow globe.


My snow globe did not possess fluffy white flakes, but gray ashes. I saw myself standing amidst the rubble of some sort of devestation. When shaken, ashes whirled around me, and rested on my head. My face pressed up against the scratched up plastic dome, I peered out, pounding my fists and yelling, "I want out! I don't want to be in this anymore!"


As I gazed out, I saw other snow globes. These scenes looked much more peaceful than mine. Some with quaint English cottages and others with groves of pine trees. White, fresh, clean snow fell upon these scenes, when shaken, not ashes. I wanted to be in one of those Currier and Ives scenes, not mine.


I don't mean for it to sound like a pity party. It's just how I felt today. But then I was reminded of what the truth is for me ... I'm really not stuck in a snow globe. I have choices. I have the Lord.


I have the Lord directing my choices, making me in to what He desires of me and creating for me and in me, good and beautiful things in my life. As I remember Jesus and the reason for Christmas, I also am reminded that He has come to bind up the brokenhearted and proclaim freedom for the captives. (I am not stuck in a snow globe!) He will comfort all who mourn and provide for those who grieve. He will bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning and a grament of praise, instead of a spirit of despair. (Isaiah 61:1-3).


And this truly is all part of His unfailing love for you, and for me.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails